Volunteers are in the spotlight
VOLUNTEERS Week starts today (Thursday) and organisations across the district are hoping to raise awareness of the work they do. The Ely & District Volunteer Centre wants more people to consider whether they can give up some of their time to become a vol
VOLUNTEERS' Week starts today (Thursday) and organisations across the district are hoping to raise awareness of the work they do.
The Ely & District Volunteer Centre wants more people to consider whether they can give up some of their time to become a volunteer.
"Volunteers make an enormous contribution to the well-being of their community, but there are never enough volunteers to fill all the opportunities that are available," a spokesperson from the Ely centre said.
"A Speed Matching event that was held in February was oversubscribed by potential volunteers, showing that people want to volunteer but don't know what there is to do."
The Ely centre has a large number of volunteering opportunities in its database, and is eager to find suitable volunteering opportunities for anyone who is willing to give some of their time.2
Jim Paice, MP for South East Cambridgeshire, will be lending a helping hand in Soham on Friday as part of Volunteers' Week.
- 1 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 2 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Mr Paice will be helping out at the Viva Arts and Community Group shop in Churchgate Street.
One of the group's leaders, Jenny Roberts, said: "We are really excited, Jim Paice has always been a supporter of Viva, but for him to do something so hands-on is showing real support for our charity and Soham."
INFO: There will be a display in Ely Library for anyone who wants to know more about volunteering.
If you would like more information about volunteering, contact Avril Hayter on 01353 666556 or e-mail the volunteer centre at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the national volunteering website at www.do-it.org.uk.