Volunteers are in the spotlight
VOLUNTEERS Week starts today (Thursday) and organisations across the district are hoping to raise awareness of the work they do. The Ely & District Volunteer Centre wants more people to consider whether they can give up some of their time to become a vol
VOLUNTEERS' Week starts today (Thursday) and organisations across the district are hoping to raise awareness of the work they do.
The Ely & District Volunteer Centre wants more people to consider whether they can give up some of their time to become a volunteer.
"Volunteers make an enormous contribution to the well-being of their community, but there are never enough volunteers to fill all the opportunities that are available," a spokesperson from the Ely centre said.
"A Speed Matching event that was held in February was oversubscribed by potential volunteers, showing that people want to volunteer but don't know what there is to do."
You may also want to watch:
The Ely centre has a large number of volunteering opportunities in its database, and is eager to find suitable volunteering opportunities for anyone who is willing to give some of their time.2
Jim Paice, MP for South East Cambridgeshire, will be lending a helping hand in Soham on Friday as part of Volunteers' Week.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
Mr Paice will be helping out at the Viva Arts and Community Group shop in Churchgate Street.
One of the group's leaders, Jenny Roberts, said: "We are really excited, Jim Paice has always been a supporter of Viva, but for him to do something so hands-on is showing real support for our charity and Soham."
INFO: There will be a display in Ely Library for anyone who wants to know more about volunteering.
If you would like more information about volunteering, contact Avril Hayter on 01353 666556 or e-mail the volunteer centre at email@example.com, or visit the national volunteering website at www.do-it.org.uk.