Viva Soham mark funding to transform Spencer Mill into community theatre
- Credit: Archant
A dream is set to become a reality for Soham’s Viva Arts and Community Group as funding is now in place to turn a derelict mill into a community theatre.
Members turned out in full force to mark the occasion last Thursday (August 22) outside of Spencer's Mill.
Having already secured funding of £180,000 from East Cambridgeshire District Council the redevelopment can begin.
The late 19th century building is hoped to be turned into a community theatre space complete with a café and venue hire.
Viva say the transformation will create jobs, help local people develop transferable skills and once again position the Mill building as an "important contributor to the local economy".
You may also want to watch:
Viva's founder and Soham District Councillor Daniel Schumann said: "This is truly amazing news and will enable us to turn this dream into a reality for Viva, Soham and East Cambridgeshire.
"Without doubt Viva's roots are firmly planted in the community where it continues to flourish."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident