Viva celebrates its 15th anniversary by performing the Sound of Music in Ely Cathedral.
TO celebrate its 15th anniversary, Soham’s Viva Youth Theatre is preparing to mark the occasion by putting on a very special production .... in a very special place.
Tickets are now on sale for their production of the Sound of Music , which has enabled the ever popular youth arm of Viva to join forces with its adult group, Viva Theatre Company, to perform in the Lady Chapel in Ely Cathedral.
Daniel Schumann, who founded Viva Youth Theatre explained: “I thought it would be lovely to celebrate by joining forces and doing a show together. And what better than the hugely popular Sound of Music?
“And to be able to set it in the beautiful surroundings of the Lady Chapel is truly wonderful. I think it will give the show a really magical quality.”
Daniel formed Viva Youth Theatre with a small production of Bugsy Malone, staged in Soham Village College back in 1997, with a cast and crew of just 50. Since then the group has tackled huge productions such as Les Miserables, performed in 2009 at the Mumford Theatre in Cambridge to an audience of 1200, and West Side Story in Ely Cathedral in January 2011 which played to 1500.
Dan added: “This will be the first time we’ve brought the young people together with our adult members, and we’re all very excited about it. Rehearsals are well under way and the show is looking fantastic.”
Viva has just published a celebrity cookbook, featuring recipes from supporters including Prime Minister David Cameron and actors and presenters Julie Walters, Celia Imrie, Paul O’Grady and Griff Rhys Jones. Copies are available from the Viva Charity Shop in the High Street, Soham (or call 01353 722228) or from Burrows Bookshop in Ely.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 7 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 8 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 9 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 10 GP surgery 'failing' us says Labour
To buy tickets for the Sound of Music, which runs from February 28 to March 2, contact Ely Cathedral Box Office on 01353 660349 or online at tickets.elycathedral.org.