Violent rapist jailed for at least four years
A rapist who subjected a teenage student to a prolonged and violent sex attack and warned her she was going to die, has been jailed indeterminately. Samuel Jennings, of Stour Green, Ely stalked the 18-year-old girl through the deserted streets of Ely af
A rapist who subjected a teenage student to a "prolonged and violent" sex attack and warned her she was going to die, has been jailed indeterminately.
Samuel Jennings, of Stour Green, Ely stalked the 18-year-old girl through the deserted streets of Ely after spotting her earlier on a train.
As he grabbed her from behind, Jennings told her: "If you see my face it will be a death sentence," Cambridge Crown Court was told.
He beat her, dragged her to a grassy area and raped her twice, telling her he had a knife.
On Thursday, 21-year-old Jennings, a cleaner, admitted two offences of raping the girl.
Before sentencing, Judge Jonathan Howarth was told how the girl had suffered nightmares and panic attacks since the rape and it is doubtful if she will be able to continue with her education. The court was also told that some members of her family had also been affected by the incident, and her father's health has suffered.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
The attack happened after Jennings followed the girl as she walked home from Ely railway station. He grabbed her from behind and, when she tried to scream out, he ordered her to shut up and banged her head on the ground.
Prosecuting, Mara Maciejowski said: "She knew she was going to be raped, but hoped it would be over quickly."
Jennings raped the girl twice before tying her hands behind her back with a cord he had taken from his own tracksuit bottoms. At one stage he told her: "By the way, you are going to die tonight."
The court heard Jennings had a previous conviction for assaulting a girlfriend in October 2006. He also assaulted the police officer who had tried to arrest him.
Melanie Bell, mitigating, said: "He does accept how serious this is. He accepts he said he had a knife, although he didn't have one."
Passing sentence, Judge Howarth told Jennings: "What you did was horrific. You indulged in a prolonged and violent attack upon her.
"I have no hesitation in concluding that you present a significant risk of repeating such offending."
The judge said the minimum term Jennings must serve before he can be considered for release is four and a half years.
In addition, his name will be added to the Sex Offenders Register for the rest of his life and, when he is finally released from prison, he will be on licence for 10 years.