Villagers Being Encouraged To Share Their Memories As Part Of Story Telling Project
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project. Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC s Sutton Grapevine initiative. ADeC, who were awarded a grant
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project.
Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC's Sutton Grapevine initiative.
ADeC, who were awarded a grant by the Arts Council for Sutton Grapevine, commissioned the artist group Proboscis to rove around the village, gathering stories in lots of different ways.
Digby Chacksfield, ADeC's arts development manager for communities, is pleased with the public's response to the project.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This has been a really good event, with lots of different activities taking place across the week. We have collected many weird and wonderful stories about Sutton. I particularly liked hearing how the fire brigade dealt with fires in the hot summer of '76."
He added: "Although the week of events has ended, people can still submit their stories, memories and experiences."
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 3 'Support this local attraction,’ MP urges on museum visit
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 9 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 10 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
The project aims to discover how communities use online space and physical space and involves groups that might not normally interact and ADeC hopes other towns and villages will be inspired to start their own "grapevines".
Proboscis will be back in Sutton for Sutton Feast Week in July, with an exhibition and audio broadcasts at St Andrews Church.
For more information visit www.suttongrapevine.org.uk or www.adec.org.uk.
Pic cap; Artists Alice Angus and Karen Martin
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.