Villagers Being Encouraged To Share Their Memories As Part Of Story Telling Project
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project. Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC s Sutton Grapevine initiative. ADeC, who were awarded a grant
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project.
Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC's Sutton Grapevine initiative.
ADeC, who were awarded a grant by the Arts Council for Sutton Grapevine, commissioned the artist group Proboscis to rove around the village, gathering stories in lots of different ways.
Digby Chacksfield, ADeC's arts development manager for communities, is pleased with the public's response to the project.
He said: "This has been a really good event, with lots of different activities taking place across the week. We have collected many weird and wonderful stories about Sutton. I particularly liked hearing how the fire brigade dealt with fires in the hot summer of '76."
He added: "Although the week of events has ended, people can still submit their stories, memories and experiences."
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 5 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 6 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 7 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 8 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 9 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 10 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
The project aims to discover how communities use online space and physical space and involves groups that might not normally interact and ADeC hopes other towns and villages will be inspired to start their own "grapevines".
Proboscis will be back in Sutton for Sutton Feast Week in July, with an exhibition and audio broadcasts at St Andrews Church.
For more information visit www.suttongrapevine.org.uk or www.adec.org.uk.
Pic cap; Artists Alice Angus and Karen Martin
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.