Villagers Being Encouraged To Share Their Memories As Part Of Story Telling Project
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project. Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC s Sutton Grapevine initiative. ADeC, who were awarded a grant
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project.
Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC's Sutton Grapevine initiative.
ADeC, who were awarded a grant by the Arts Council for Sutton Grapevine, commissioned the artist group Proboscis to rove around the village, gathering stories in lots of different ways.
Digby Chacksfield, ADeC's arts development manager for communities, is pleased with the public's response to the project.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This has been a really good event, with lots of different activities taking place across the week. We have collected many weird and wonderful stories about Sutton. I particularly liked hearing how the fire brigade dealt with fires in the hot summer of '76."
He added: "Although the week of events has ended, people can still submit their stories, memories and experiences."
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 6 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 9 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
The project aims to discover how communities use online space and physical space and involves groups that might not normally interact and ADeC hopes other towns and villages will be inspired to start their own "grapevines".
Proboscis will be back in Sutton for Sutton Feast Week in July, with an exhibition and audio broadcasts at St Andrews Church.
For more information visit www.suttongrapevine.org.uk or www.adec.org.uk.
Pic cap; Artists Alice Angus and Karen Martin
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.