Villagers Being Encouraged To Share Their Memories As Part Of Story Telling Project
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project. Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC s Sutton Grapevine initiative. ADeC, who were awarded a grant
PEOPLE in Sutton are turning into storytellers as part of a new arts project.
Residents are being encouraged to share their stories and memories of the area as part of arts organisation ADeC's Sutton Grapevine initiative.
ADeC, who were awarded a grant by the Arts Council for Sutton Grapevine, commissioned the artist group Proboscis to rove around the village, gathering stories in lots of different ways.
Digby Chacksfield, ADeC's arts development manager for communities, is pleased with the public's response to the project.
He said: "This has been a really good event, with lots of different activities taking place across the week. We have collected many weird and wonderful stories about Sutton. I particularly liked hearing how the fire brigade dealt with fires in the hot summer of '76."
He added: "Although the week of events has ended, people can still submit their stories, memories and experiences."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
The project aims to discover how communities use online space and physical space and involves groups that might not normally interact and ADeC hopes other towns and villages will be inspired to start their own "grapevines".
Proboscis will be back in Sutton for Sutton Feast Week in July, with an exhibition and audio broadcasts at St Andrews Church.
For more information visit www.suttongrapevine.org.uk or www.adec.org.uk.
Pic cap; Artists Alice Angus and Karen Martin
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.