Village scouts hope for slice of Calor's £85k community pot
- Credit: Sutton Scout Group
A scouts group is aiming for a slice of an £85,000 fund in a bid to continue supporting young people..
The 1st Sutton (Cambridgeshire) Scout Group is fundraising to secure land adjacent to its new headquarters in the village, which received planning permission, so it can provide outdoor activities and a recreation ground.
The group were selected to apply for some of the Calor Rural Community Fund, but more funding is needed if they are to receive some of the fund.
Ali Wells, group scout leader, said: “This land purchase would enable us to offer local nights away benefitting not only our group but also the wider district of scouting in Ely.
“Having lost local facilities, we can open up the facilities to school groups for Duke of Edinburgh Award practice and forest schooling.”
Ali added: “Scouts have an expectation of camping, and we want to be able to offer this opportunity without the children and their families having to leave the county.
Each project receives a point for every like or share and 10 points when someone donates before July 7.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Rough sleeping injunctions are ‘positive’ say council
- 10 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say