Village scouts hope for slice of Calor's £85k community pot
- Credit: Sutton Scout Group
A scouts group is aiming for a slice of an £85,000 fund in a bid to continue supporting young people..
The 1st Sutton (Cambridgeshire) Scout Group is fundraising to secure land adjacent to its new headquarters in the village, which received planning permission, so it can provide outdoor activities and a recreation ground.
The group were selected to apply for some of the Calor Rural Community Fund, but more funding is needed if they are to receive some of the fund.
Ali Wells, group scout leader, said: “This land purchase would enable us to offer local nights away benefitting not only our group but also the wider district of scouting in Ely.
“Having lost local facilities, we can open up the facilities to school groups for Duke of Edinburgh Award practice and forest schooling.”
You may also want to watch:
Ali added: “Scouts have an expectation of camping, and we want to be able to offer this opportunity without the children and their families having to leave the county.
Each project receives a point for every like or share and 10 points when someone donates before July 7.
- 1 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 2 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 3 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 4 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 5 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 6 Pool memories and 60s celebrities - a nostalgic step back in time
- 7 Letter: Who's been pinching my dog biscuits?
- 8 Married Matt Hancock accused of affair after he is pictured kissing aide
- 9 Young writer's 'wonderful' poem wins competition
- 10 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find