Village is denied mains gas supply
THE National Grid has denied a request from Haddenham residents to have the village put on mains gas.
After months of requests and correspondence, the energy giant contacted the parish council earlier this month to say it would not be cost effective to connect the village and that there were no plans to do so for the foreseeable future.
Calls to have the village connected to mains gas came to the fore during the parish plan process carried out in 2009, with residents given the opportunity to list what they would like to see introduced in the village.
A spokesperson for Haddenham Parish Council, said the villagers were disappointed with the announcement, “The National Grid told us that there were no facilities close enough for it to connect to and that as a result they had no plans to introduce gas in the village.
“For it to have been raised as an issue in the parish plan there must have been a lot of people who asked for mains gas so I imagine they will be quite disappointed.”
You may also want to watch:
According to the parish council most people in the village use either oil or bottled gas in their homes.
Julie Parr, chairman of the parish council, said: “It is disappointing but I am not surprised. I think they have a connection running along Witcham Toll so we thought they would just run a pipe along there but we have been told no.”
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 8 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550