Village crowned best in the region
SUTTON has scooped an award for the best village in the region by judges at the Village of the Year best of the best competition. The village was entered alongside 36 others in Calor s Village of the Year 10th anniversary competition, which saw all the
SUTTON has scooped an award for the best village in the region by judges at the Village of the Year "best of the best" competition.
The village was entered alongside 36 others in Calor's Village of the Year 10th anniversary competition, which saw all the previous winners compete for the number one spot. The hard work of the people of Sutton was rewarded with one of only seven places in the final heat, and the village was named the best regional entry by the judges.
Parish council chairman Jean Harnwell said: "We were disappointed that we didn't win the big one, but we were regional winners. We were delighted, and it wouldn't have happened without all the village organisations and businesses - it really was a community achievement."
Parish clerk Rosie Seymour and council vice-chairman Ian Dewer were presented with a plaque and £1,000 prize money from television presenter Phillip Schofield at a ceremony held at a Park Lane hotel in London.
You may also want to watch:
The plaque is now proudly displayed in the village butcher's shop, and a large outdoor plaque will be displayed outside the shop to commemorate the village's achievement.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident