Village bell ringers creating a right old ding-dong, without even striking a bell
- Credit: Archant
RESIDENTS enjoying the peace and quiet of Landbeach might be forgiven for thinking that there had been no bell-ringing practice at All Saints’ Church for many months.
But, thanks to some clever electronics and an ingenious computer program, tuition for the tower’s novice bell ringers has been going on every week - but in complete silence.
Thanks to their hard work, the bell ringers have progressed so rapidly that from tomorrows (Friday) their bells will ring out for all to hear.
Abel, the computer system that made all the silent practice sessions possible, uses movement sensors on each of Landbeach’s four bells to simulate the sound of them striking in the ringing chamber below.
The bells themselves are silenced by tying up their clappers so that they cannot swing and strike the sides.
You may also want to watch:
Even if just one or two learners want to practise, the computer system automatically fills in the sounds of the bells not being rung.
Barbara Le Gallez, one of Landbeach’s bell-ringing tutors, said: “Teaching a band to ring from scratch is often a long and noisy process.
- 1 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 2 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 3 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 4 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 7 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 8 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 9 Family 'thrilled' as pair's lockdown locks raise charity cash
- 10 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
However, with our Abel ringing simulator we have both speeded up the process and spared our neighbours the sounds of inevitable beginners’ clashes and unavoidable repeated starting and stopping.
“I am very happy for the team to ring our bells out loud and hope that the village will be pleased to hear them once more.”
Landbeach ringers practise every Friday from 7-8.30pm. Those seeking more information about the bells or wishing to learn to ring should contact Barbara Le Gallez on 01223 860283. For other enquiries about All Saints’, contact Rev Paul Butler on 01223 860353.