Video: Olympic flag hoisted in Ely on Sunday
AS the Beijing Games drew to a close on Sunday and the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson accepted the Olympic flag, East Cambridgeshire helped to launch its own push towards London 2012. A Cambridgeshire s flag was hoisted at Grafham Water, and East Cambrid
AS the Beijing Games drew to a close on Sunday and the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson accepted the Olympic flag, East Cambridgeshire helped to launch its own push towards London 2012.
A Cambridgeshire's flag was hoisted at Grafham Water, and East Cambridgeshire held its own ceremony at the Paradise field to celebrate the start of the British Olympiad.
The hand-over celebration on Sunday afternoon, organised by East Cambs District Council, included an archery taster session and musical sets from Fen Jam.
Peter Cresswell, chairman of ECDC, hoisted the flag at the Paradise field.
You may also want to watch:
With sporting excitement built up to a fever pitch over the last fortnight, local authorities are hoping that the buzz generated by Beijing will encourage sports stars of the future to go for gold in 2012.
East Cambridgeshire, which has one of the highest obesity rates in the East of England, has received hundreds of thousands of pounds in sport funding to help young people focus on a healthy and fit future.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
Pic cap: Phil Turner, sports development officer at East Cambs District Council, with district council chairman Peter Cresswell.
Photo: GEOFF DURRANT.
This story has video. Go to: www.elystandard24.co.uk