Video: Olympic flag hoisted in Ely on Sunday
AS the Beijing Games drew to a close on Sunday and the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson accepted the Olympic flag, East Cambridgeshire helped to launch its own push towards London 2012. A Cambridgeshire s flag was hoisted at Grafham Water, and East Cambrid
AS the Beijing Games drew to a close on Sunday and the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson accepted the Olympic flag, East Cambridgeshire helped to launch its own push towards London 2012.
A Cambridgeshire's flag was hoisted at Grafham Water, and East Cambridgeshire held its own ceremony at the Paradise field to celebrate the start of the British Olympiad.
The hand-over celebration on Sunday afternoon, organised by East Cambs District Council, included an archery taster session and musical sets from Fen Jam.
Peter Cresswell, chairman of ECDC, hoisted the flag at the Paradise field.
With sporting excitement built up to a fever pitch over the last fortnight, local authorities are hoping that the buzz generated by Beijing will encourage sports stars of the future to go for gold in 2012.
East Cambridgeshire, which has one of the highest obesity rates in the East of England, has received hundreds of thousands of pounds in sport funding to help young people focus on a healthy and fit future.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
Pic cap: Phil Turner, sports development officer at East Cambs District Council, with district council chairman Peter Cresswell.
Photo: GEOFF DURRANT.
This story has video. Go to: www.elystandard24.co.uk