Video & Gallery: Soham continue winning form
Soham Town Rangers 2 Leiston 0 Soham kept their 19th clean sheet of the campaign in their penultimate match. Leiston were forced into early changes, with Liam Manning pulling out through injury during the warm-up and Dan George limping off after just 11
Soham Town Rangers 2 Leiston 0
Soham kept their 19th clean sheet of the campaign in their penultimate match.
Leiston were forced into early changes, with Liam Manning pulling out through injury during the warm-up and Dan George limping off after just 11 minutes.
There were chances at both ends before Soham broke the deadlock midway through the first period.
A diagonal ball from Michael Simpson found Darren Jimson on the edge of the penalty area, and his effort was turned behind by Leiston goalkeeper Stannard.
Callum Kearns - who has impressed with his recent performances - fired in the corner, and when the visiting defence failed to clear Simpson turned Smith on the edge of the box before firing his shot underneath Stannard.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
Furnell then dragged a goal chance wide in first half stoppage time, leaving Soham with a precarious 1-0 advantage at the break.
Neither side created much in the second half, but it was eventually Rangers who made the points safe with six minutes remaining.
Libam flicked the ball into the Leiston penalty area, and Scott Carter - whose initial effort was saved by Stannard - hooked the rebound into the net from six yards to make the final score 2-0.