Video & Gallery: Soham continue winning form
Soham Town Rangers 2 Leiston 0 Soham kept their 19th clean sheet of the campaign in their penultimate match. Leiston were forced into early changes, with Liam Manning pulling out through injury during the warm-up and Dan George limping off after just 11
Soham Town Rangers 2 Leiston 0
Soham kept their 19th clean sheet of the campaign in their penultimate match.
Leiston were forced into early changes, with Liam Manning pulling out through injury during the warm-up and Dan George limping off after just 11 minutes.
There were chances at both ends before Soham broke the deadlock midway through the first period.
You may also want to watch:
A diagonal ball from Michael Simpson found Darren Jimson on the edge of the penalty area, and his effort was turned behind by Leiston goalkeeper Stannard.
Callum Kearns - who has impressed with his recent performances - fired in the corner, and when the visiting defence failed to clear Simpson turned Smith on the edge of the box before firing his shot underneath Stannard.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 7 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 8 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 9 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
Furnell then dragged a goal chance wide in first half stoppage time, leaving Soham with a precarious 1-0 advantage at the break.
Neither side created much in the second half, but it was eventually Rangers who made the points safe with six minutes remaining.
Libam flicked the ball into the Leiston penalty area, and Scott Carter - whose initial effort was saved by Stannard - hooked the rebound into the net from six yards to make the final score 2-0.