Video & Gallery: Hereos Welcome For Troops At Waterbeach
THE soldiers of 12 (Air Support) Engineer Group were afforded a heroes welcome on Friday at a special parade through the centre of Waterbeach. Hundreds of people lined the streets of the small village to applaud and welcome the soldiers, many of whom have
THE soldiers of 12 (Air Support) Engineer Group were afforded a heroes welcome on Friday at a special parade through the centre of Waterbeach.
Hundreds of people lined the streets of the small village to applaud and welcome the soldiers, many of whom have recently returned from active service in Afghanistan and Kenya.
More than 150 soldiers from the Air Support Group, made up of a number of specialist units, marched through the village centre led by the Band of the Corps of Royal Engineers.
The soldiers then took the march to the village green where Group commander Colonel Frank Noble, and Councillor Charles Nightingale from South Cambs District Council took the salute before falling out and mingling with members of the public.
Colonel Noble said: "We are always looking for ways to engage with the local community and are very proud to continue the military association with Waterbeach that began when the first RAF Squadron arrived here in March 1941.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months