Video & Gallery: Fun in the sun for annual Eel Day
ELLIE the eel snaked her way towards sun-soaked Jubilee Gardens for Ely s fifth annual Eel Day on Saturday. She processed, with the help of 10 town criers from across the region, to the riverside, accompanied by the music of Ely Samba Band. Among the at
ELLIE the eel snaked her way towards sun-soaked Jubilee Gardens for Ely's fifth annual Eel Day on Saturday.
She processed, with the help of 10 town criers from across the region, to the riverside, accompanied by the music of Ely Samba Band.
Among the attractions on the day were smoked and jellied eel tasting, entertainment from Fenland Jam musicians, and an eel-throwing competition, which was won by
Local eel-catcher Peter Carter wove basketry eel traps after a rousing performance from 10 town criers. Ely's own town crier Avril Hayter-Smith performed admirably, but was beaten by Colchester crier Robert Needham for the second year in a row.
You may also want to watch:
East Cambs Sport headed up the eel-throwing competition. The winner of the under eights was William Cousins who threw his eel 10 metres, Ben Smith managed 13 metres for the under-16s and Kevin Taggery won the adult contest with a distance of 16 metres.
Ely-based charity EARTH were among the stallholders, selling plants grown by adults with learning difficulties, and even Ely's regular market stall holders contributed to the day. A recipe book full of their insider tips and how to cook local produce was sold, with all proceeds going to EARTH.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor