Video & Gallery: Ely Reporter is handcuffed for a day
ELY Standard sports editor Dan Mansfield spent a day handcuffed to a bed as a part of a Sue Ryder charity appeal. The pyjama-clad reporter braved the cold and wet conditions on Thursday morning to head over to the Old Palace gardens in Ely where he was fi
ELY Standard sports editor Dan Mansfield spent a day handcuffed to a bed as a part of a Sue Ryder charity appeal.
The pyjama-clad reporter braved the cold and wet conditions on Thursday morning to head over to the Old Palace gardens in Ely where he was firmly handcuffed to a rickety old hospital bed in a bid to raise money for the charity's bed appeal.
The charity are hoping to raise �34'000 for 28 new electric beds to help people with debilitating conditions and Dan was on hand, complete with bucket and sign, to do his bit towards the sum.
Fortunately for Dan though, he was able to secure his release before the stalls were packed up and the gardens were locked for the night, he said: "Even though I had to sit outside in my rather embarrassing pyjamas, it was still a great event and a great cause which I hope people will continue to contribute towards."
You may also want to watch:
As well as the bed appeal there was also craft stalls, face painting and an Easter egg hunt at the Easter Fair, which ran from 10am-3pm.
If you weren't able to make it to the event but would still like to contribute towards Sue Ryder's bed appeal visit surrydercare.org or drop in to their Ely branch on the High Street.
- 1 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 2 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 3 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 6 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 7 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 8 Community pharmacy teams to offer free Covid-19 test kits
- 9 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 10 Jail and criminal behaviour order for woman who spat at police officer