Video & Gallery: Ely Reporter is handcuffed for a day
ELY Standard sports editor Dan Mansfield spent a day handcuffed to a bed as a part of a Sue Ryder charity appeal. The pyjama-clad reporter braved the cold and wet conditions on Thursday morning to head over to the Old Palace gardens in Ely where he was fi
ELY Standard sports editor Dan Mansfield spent a day handcuffed to a bed as a part of a Sue Ryder charity appeal.
The pyjama-clad reporter braved the cold and wet conditions on Thursday morning to head over to the Old Palace gardens in Ely where he was firmly handcuffed to a rickety old hospital bed in a bid to raise money for the charity's bed appeal.
The charity are hoping to raise �34'000 for 28 new electric beds to help people with debilitating conditions and Dan was on hand, complete with bucket and sign, to do his bit towards the sum.
Fortunately for Dan though, he was able to secure his release before the stalls were packed up and the gardens were locked for the night, he said: "Even though I had to sit outside in my rather embarrassing pyjamas, it was still a great event and a great cause which I hope people will continue to contribute towards."
As well as the bed appeal there was also craft stalls, face painting and an Easter egg hunt at the Easter Fair, which ran from 10am-3pm.
If you weren't able to make it to the event but would still like to contribute towards Sue Ryder's bed appeal visit surrydercare.org or drop in to their Ely branch on the High Street.
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 4 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 5 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 8 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 For Worship & Glory II exhibition coming to Ely Cathedral