Video: Crucial victory for Rangers
Soham Town Rangers 2 Haverhill Rovers 0 DEFENDER Martin Bromwich – replacing suspended Scott Johnson at left-back – was the star man in Soham s crucial Premier Division victory over fifth-placed Haverhill. Andy Furnell fired over in the opening 10 second
Soham Town Rangers 2 Haverhill Rovers 0
DEFENDER Martin Bromwich - replacing suspended Scott Johnson at left-back - was the star man in Soham's crucial Premier Division victory over fifth-placed Haverhill.
Andy Furnell fired over in the opening 10 seconds after Darren Jimson's shot had been blocked, and Michael Simpson - making his 300th Soham appearance - was denied in the eighth minute by the goalkeeper's legs.
Sixty seconds later, however, Paul Jones delivered a pinpoint cross for Andy Furnell to slide in the opener from close range.
Haverhill 'keeper Benstead then tipped Jimson's effort round the post, but the visitors had their moments too and Ben-Saud's 25-yard shot was turned away by Soham 'keeper Lea Jordan.
Simpson was again denied by Benstead's legs before Rangers doubled their lead four minutes before the interval.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 3 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 4 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 5 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 6 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 7 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 8 Plea to give beloved Reba 'best fighting chance'
- 9 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 10 Baby murder trial jury told birth referred to safeguarding team
Jimson volleyed goalwards after Simpson's shot had been blocked by Benstead, and the goalkeeper could only help the ball over the line as it cannoned off the bar.
Soham's dominance was threatened in the 56th minute when Furnell was red-carded for a foul on Pilcher, and there were several close calls as Haverhill upped the tempo.
The storm was weathered however, and Rangers started to look dangerous again themselves before Bromwich headed off the line in injury time and the visitors were also denied by a deflection and then by Jordan's save.