Video: Crucial victory for Rangers
Soham Town Rangers 2 Haverhill Rovers 0 DEFENDER Martin Bromwich – replacing suspended Scott Johnson at left-back – was the star man in Soham s crucial Premier Division victory over fifth-placed Haverhill. Andy Furnell fired over in the opening 10 second
Soham Town Rangers 2 Haverhill Rovers 0
DEFENDER Martin Bromwich - replacing suspended Scott Johnson at left-back - was the star man in Soham's crucial Premier Division victory over fifth-placed Haverhill.
Andy Furnell fired over in the opening 10 seconds after Darren Jimson's shot had been blocked, and Michael Simpson - making his 300th Soham appearance - was denied in the eighth minute by the goalkeeper's legs.
Sixty seconds later, however, Paul Jones delivered a pinpoint cross for Andy Furnell to slide in the opener from close range.
Haverhill 'keeper Benstead then tipped Jimson's effort round the post, but the visitors had their moments too and Ben-Saud's 25-yard shot was turned away by Soham 'keeper Lea Jordan.
Simpson was again denied by Benstead's legs before Rangers doubled their lead four minutes before the interval.
- 1 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 4 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
- 7 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 8 Three officers commended for 2021 Boat Race policing
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
Jimson volleyed goalwards after Simpson's shot had been blocked by Benstead, and the goalkeeper could only help the ball over the line as it cannoned off the bar.
Soham's dominance was threatened in the 56th minute when Furnell was red-carded for a foul on Pilcher, and there were several close calls as Haverhill upped the tempo.
The storm was weathered however, and Rangers started to look dangerous again themselves before Bromwich headed off the line in injury time and the visitors were also denied by a deflection and then by Jordan's save.