Video: Crucial victory for Rangers
Soham Town Rangers 2 Haverhill Rovers 0 DEFENDER Martin Bromwich – replacing suspended Scott Johnson at left-back – was the star man in Soham s crucial Premier Division victory over fifth-placed Haverhill. Andy Furnell fired over in the opening 10 second
Soham Town Rangers 2 Haverhill Rovers 0
DEFENDER Martin Bromwich - replacing suspended Scott Johnson at left-back - was the star man in Soham's crucial Premier Division victory over fifth-placed Haverhill.
Andy Furnell fired over in the opening 10 seconds after Darren Jimson's shot had been blocked, and Michael Simpson - making his 300th Soham appearance - was denied in the eighth minute by the goalkeeper's legs.
Sixty seconds later, however, Paul Jones delivered a pinpoint cross for Andy Furnell to slide in the opener from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Haverhill 'keeper Benstead then tipped Jimson's effort round the post, but the visitors had their moments too and Ben-Saud's 25-yard shot was turned away by Soham 'keeper Lea Jordan.
Simpson was again denied by Benstead's legs before Rangers doubled their lead four minutes before the interval.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
Jimson volleyed goalwards after Simpson's shot had been blocked by Benstead, and the goalkeeper could only help the ball over the line as it cannoned off the bar.
Soham's dominance was threatened in the 56th minute when Furnell was red-carded for a foul on Pilcher, and there were several close calls as Haverhill upped the tempo.
The storm was weathered however, and Rangers started to look dangerous again themselves before Bromwich headed off the line in injury time and the visitors were also denied by a deflection and then by Jordan's save.