Video: Baroness Morris Launches New Education Trust at Ely Cathedral
BARONESS Estelle Morris launched the new Ely Cathedral Education Trust on Friday. Ely Cathedral already has an established Education Department which organises more than 10,000 school visits each year, but it is hoped the new trust will expand the cathedr
BARONESS Estelle Morris launched the new Ely Cathedral Education Trust on Friday.
Ely Cathedral already has an established Education Department which organises more than 10,000 school visits each year, but it is hoped the new trust will expand the cathedral's links with the community and could include some outreach work with some of the young people "who hang around the cathedral's ground".
Baroness Morris, who spoke to an invited audience, said she had always been interested in organisations that could support and enhance what was happening in schools.
"We'll never get away from the situation we're in, where schools are the primary educators as well as the family. But as society becomes more complex and we become more ambitious, I think that we're looking for all parts of society to actually play their part in education, and when I read what was happening, and what had happened, and what the plans were for the future, I thought this was a really good example of a cathedral and a church community, a local community in Ely actually saying 'yes, we want to be a part of a child's learning,' so it was just nice to be part of that celebration."
You may also want to watch:
The former education minister also backed the cathedral's plan to expand its links with the community.
"I think also, we don't just learn in schools, and they have ambitions to work with disaffected youths, and adults as well, returning to learn. When you look at this building, you imagine an adult coming in here and saying 'oh yeah, there's a picture of that saint, or that painting - what's it about?' and being re-engaged with the learning process.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 5 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
Churches and cathedrals have always been part of community, and part of learning in that community - and I just think that these people right here are really good at making that happen."
Pic cap: Baroness Estelle Morris at the launch of the new Education Trust at Ely Cathedral on Friday.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE. 9724HD0908.