Video: Annual Etheldreda Day
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city s annual Etheldreda Day. Eel Man Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city's annual Etheldreda Day.
"Eel Man" Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
He said: "I didn't get a lot of time to talk to the Bishop, but he congratulated me on my journey. He told me the eels would be released back into the river. I had punted 22 miles to join the parade, battling a head wind and the flow of the river but hopefully it has helped me to raise money for the East Anglia Children's Hospice."
The annual procession through the town celebrates the life of Etheldreda, who founded a monastery in Ely in 673. She died just six years later.
The procession began at Jubilee Gardens and made its way through the town, following actors and actresses re-enacting the story of Etheldreda's life. It ended at her shrine in the cathedral and was followed by a Eucharist in the Presbytery.
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 9 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 10 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection