Video: Annual Etheldreda Day
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city s annual Etheldreda Day. Eel Man Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city's annual Etheldreda Day.
"Eel Man" Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
He said: "I didn't get a lot of time to talk to the Bishop, but he congratulated me on my journey. He told me the eels would be released back into the river. I had punted 22 miles to join the parade, battling a head wind and the flow of the river but hopefully it has helped me to raise money for the East Anglia Children's Hospice."
The annual procession through the town celebrates the life of Etheldreda, who founded a monastery in Ely in 673. She died just six years later.
You may also want to watch:
The procession began at Jubilee Gardens and made its way through the town, following actors and actresses re-enacting the story of Etheldreda's life. It ended at her shrine in the cathedral and was followed by a Eucharist in the Presbytery.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 9 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online