Video: Annual Etheldreda Day
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city s annual Etheldreda Day. Eel Man Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city's annual Etheldreda Day.
"Eel Man" Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
He said: "I didn't get a lot of time to talk to the Bishop, but he congratulated me on my journey. He told me the eels would be released back into the river. I had punted 22 miles to join the parade, battling a head wind and the flow of the river but hopefully it has helped me to raise money for the East Anglia Children's Hospice."
The annual procession through the town celebrates the life of Etheldreda, who founded a monastery in Ely in 673. She died just six years later.
You may also want to watch:
The procession began at Jubilee Gardens and made its way through the town, following actors and actresses re-enacting the story of Etheldreda's life. It ended at her shrine in the cathedral and was followed by a Eucharist in the Presbytery.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 3 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 4 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 7 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 8 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 9 Win vouchers to spend at supermarket
- 10 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings