Video: Annual Etheldreda Day
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city s annual Etheldreda Day. Eel Man Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
THE Bishop of Ely was presented with a basket of eels as part of the city's annual Etheldreda Day.
"Eel Man" Peter Carter made the presentation to the Right Rev Dr Anthony Russell on Saturday at Ely Cathedral, which was celebrating its 900th anniversary.
He said: "I didn't get a lot of time to talk to the Bishop, but he congratulated me on my journey. He told me the eels would be released back into the river. I had punted 22 miles to join the parade, battling a head wind and the flow of the river but hopefully it has helped me to raise money for the East Anglia Children's Hospice."
The annual procession through the town celebrates the life of Etheldreda, who founded a monastery in Ely in 673. She died just six years later.
You may also want to watch:
The procession began at Jubilee Gardens and made its way through the town, following actors and actresses re-enacting the story of Etheldreda's life. It ended at her shrine in the cathedral and was followed by a Eucharist in the Presbytery.
- 1 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 2 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 3 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 4 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 7 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 8 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 9 Family 'thrilled' as pair's lockdown locks raise charity cash
- 10 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride