Vide: Tigers in the making
EXCLUDED pupils are being given the chance t bx their way ut f truble and this week met up with a lcal bxing legend t get a few tips. The Grups f Bys Bxing (GOBB) which was launched at the Littleprt Leisure Centre n Tuesday, will take bys a
EXCLUDED pupils are being given the chance t bx their way ut f truble and this week met up with a lcal bxing legend t get a few tips.
The Grups f Bys Bxing (GOBB) which was launched at the Littleprt Leisure Centre n Tuesday, will take bys aged 13-16 and attempt t instil discipline thrugh sprt. Each student will be enrlled n a sprts leadership scheme as part f the prject, which is the brainchild f East Cambs District Cuncil and the Yuth Service frm Suttn, Ely and Littleprt.
Sme f the yungsters were given tips by Chatteris-brn Dave "By" Green, knwn as the Fenland Tiger in his fighting days.
Green, wh fught fr tw WBC titles, said: "Whatever yu d in life, yu've gt t wrk at it, if yu're a bxer and r an accuntant. Train, train, train until yu make it," he tld the bys.
Paddy Smith, an Amateur Bxing Assciatin cach at Newmarket, is the bys' new cach and mentr and he added: "I've just tld them t use their cmmn sense. They dn't have t g ut there and hit smene if they're bxing. Whatever happens utside, dn't bring it back t the gym. Then yu ruin it fr everyne else."
"I haven't met any f them until tday, and there's been n bad language, n racism, they've shwn a bit f respect fr each ther. Yu'd get wrse n a ftball field."
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
He added: "If yu're a gd trainer, it will take three t six mnths t get the bys ready fr their first fight, s they will have t have a bit f discipline and be cmmitted t training."
Yuth wrker Mick Oliver tld the Ely Standard the bys had t be cmmitted fr the lng-term.
"It's nt just a chance fr them t hit each ther," he said "We're challenging them abut their aggressin and behaviur."
The bys will be given the chance t enrl n the Duke f Edinburgh Award, r the arts award t give them frmal qualificatins. Many f them are n anger management classes at Witchfrd Village Cllege.
Witchfrd pupil Cathal Brwn, 15, said: "This is the first time I've tried bxing. I've nly gt six mnths left at schl, I'll see hw it ges."
Grdn Cave, 14, als a pupil at Witchfrd, said: "Dave 'By' Green has seen me fight befre.
I've had fur, and wn ne. I just like bxing fr thrwing punches and getting my aggressin ut.