Veterans remembered at RAF Witchford
- Credit: Archant
Veterans who were based at RAF Witchford were remembered at the 115 squadron memorial.
Families and friends visited the former airfield, which is now Lancaster Way Business Park, dedicated to those who failed to return to Witchford from operations.
They attended a remembrance service at St Andrews Church, by Reverend Teresa Dixon, before laying a wreath at the memorial during a shorter service.
A buffet lunch was provided by the committee of Witchford Social club, followed by a visit to the RAF Witchford display of memorabilia.
It is dedicated to men and women who were based at RAF Witchford 115 squadron and 75 (N.Z.) squadron based at RAF Mepal during the Second World War.
You may also want to watch:
Also attending were two air cadets from Ely Air Training Corps and flight lieutenant Neil Bing based at RAF Wittering.
The group gathered after the service and wreath laying was complete to share a few moments thinking of their lost loved ones.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol