Ely organisation pays tribute to loyal volunteer
An Ely organisation has paid tribute to a volunteer who had been an important member of their team for almost 25 years.
Sandra McCarthy had volunteered with Voluntary Community Action East Cambs (VCAEC) since 1995, when it was known as the Ely Volunteer Centre.
She died on September 15, 2020. Instead of flowers, she requested donations to VCAEC in her memory.
Granville Hawkes, Project and Development Manager at VCAEC, said: “Sandra was a much loved volunteer here at VCAEC and over many years made many friends driving people to appointments as part of the car scheme.
“As an organisation, and for many of our drivers, it was hard not being able to pay our lasts respects in person due to the Covid-19 restrictions.”
Sandra was initially a volunteer office administrator. She then worked as a car scheme driver and the car scheme coordinator until September 2019 when she became ill.
In May 2015, Sandra attended the Queen’s garden party in recognition to her long service to the community.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Man found dead in March
Mr Hawkes added that Sandra was also famous for the ‘large sumptuous buffets’ she would arrange for VCAEC functions.