VANDALS ON THE RAMPAGE: Man stabbed and car tyres slashed
A WAVE of vandalism has swept across Ely and Soham in the last few days – including an attack which saw a have-a-go hero stabbed after he confronted two men who went on a tyre-slashing spree. The stabbing victim, a man who lives in the Abbots Way area of
A WAVE of vandalism has swept across Ely and Soham in the last few days - including an attack which saw a have-a-go hero stabbed after he confronted two men who went on a tyre-slashing spree.
The stabbing victim, a man who lives in the Abbots Way area of Ely but has not been named, received what have been described as minor injuries to his hands.
Police say he confronted a man and a youth at 7.30am on Friday morning and was stabbed with a knife.
Around 28 vehicles were damaged during the spree and the cost has been estimated at around £4,000. Each car had between two and four tyres slashed and some had paint-work damaged.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Inspector Chris Mead said: "I am appealing for any witnesses who may have seen this activity to speak to me. It may be possible that other people living in the city have experienced this damage to their own cars and have not reported it yet. I would appeal to those people to contact officers and report the damage."
INFO: Anyone with information should contact DC John Yore at Parkside Police Station on 0845 4564564 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
n A 22-year-old man and a 17-year-old youth were arrested in connection with the stabbing, and criminal damage to 30 vehicles in Ely. They were given police bail and will return to Cambridge's Parkside Police Station today (Thursday).
In a separate incident, vandals broke a plate glass window at Burows' newsagents in High Street in the early hours of Monday at 1.15am. A replacement will cost £300.