Van driver dies in head-on crash
A 26-year-old van driver died on Tuesday morning when he was involved in a head on crash with a lorry in Ely.Leighton King, of Blackthorn Court, Soham died at the scene of the crash on the A142 Soham Road.
A 26-year-old van driver died on Tuesday morning when he was involved in a head on crash with a lorry in Ely.
Leighton King, of Blackthorn Court, Soham died at the scene of the crash on the A142 Soham Road.
The accident in heavy rain brought chaos to rush hour traffic as police moved in to close the road for several hours from Soham to Angel Drove.
Traffic was brought to a standstill as diversions were set up along the A10 and A1132...
Police, fire and ambulance crews were called to the scene at 5.35am after the crash at the junction with Eye Hill Drove.
Soham resident Joy Ames said of the area where the crash happened: “It’s always been a dangerous junction. There have been accidents there before.”
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
Cambridgeshire Police sergeant Tim Stonebridge appealed for witnesses following the accident.
He said: “I would like to speak to anyone on the Soham Road at the time of the incident who witnessed the collision.”
A 37-year-old lorry driver from Grenada in the Caribbean was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and is being interviewed at Cambridge’s Parkside Police Station.
* Fire-fighters used specialist cutting equipment to free a driver from a car after a crash on the A142 near the Witchford roundabout on Tuesday morning.
The two car accident happened at 7.21am and the injured driver was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.
Anyone with any information about either accident should contact the Road Policing Unit on 0845 456 4564.