Urgent appeal for new members of Ely Royal British Legion
- Credit: Archant
Ely Royal British Legion has issued an SOS for new members to help boost fundraising and cover costs. Branch chairman Stan Geering issued the plea and pointed out that membership has more than halved in the past 20 years.
He said: “The Royal British Legion exists to help members and ex-members of the Armed Forces and their families who are in need. They do this through the annual Poppy Appeal, to which members of the public generously donate and this amounted to around £40million in 2014.
“All of the monies from this Appeal are used for this purpose and none is used for the running and administration of the legion organisation. These costs are covered by the legion members’ annual fees, which from October 1 is £16.50 per year.
“However, this is becoming more difficult because of falling membership numbers. For example, in Ely in the 1960s and 70s, following WW2 and National Service, the number of members was several hundred. Sadly, many of those members have now passed away and, despite attracting some new members in recent years, the total membership of Ely Branch is around 50.
“Therefore, the legion needs your help. Please consider joining to help your local branch. There are quarterly meetings, but you don’t have to attend, just by joining you will be helping the Legion to continue it’s good work.”
You may also want to watch:
If you wish to join please email the Ely Chairman, Stan Geering, using email@example.com or call: 01353 666021
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely