UPDATED: Crossing barrier shattered by lorry
A LORRY has crashed into a level crossing in Ely, causing severe damage to a safety barrier.
The incident took place at about 1pm, with rail and road traffic brought to a standstill while the barrier was recovered.
Engineers working for First Capital Connect are attempting to repair the broken barrier while British Transport Police control traffic.
It is understood that traffic is continuing to move under the bridge, though there are delays for traffic moving over the level crossing as engineers begin repairs.
A spokesman for the British Transport Police (BTP), said: “BTP are investigating following the report of a vehicle striking a barrier at Ely station level crossing. The incident was reported to police at 12.59pm.
You may also want to watch:
“Enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances of the incident and to identify the driver of the vehicle involved.
“Trains are currently on caution while Network Rail work to ensure the crossing is safe for use by both motor vehicles and trains.”
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 8 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 9 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 10 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
A spokesman for First Capital Connect, said: Owing to a problem at a level crossing at Ely trains have to run at reduced speed on all lines.
“Train services running through this station may be delayed by up to 10 minutes at short notice.”
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 268 of 20/07/2011.
IN a separate incident, a motorcyclist was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge after colliding with a van.
The incident took place at about 1pm on Station Road in Ely, near to the busy level crossing.
The motorcycle rider suffered minor injuries and was initially treated at the scene by ambulance crews before being taken to hospital.