UPDATE: Motorcyclist killed and man arrested following smash
A MOTORCYCLIST who died following a collision near Newmarket on Sunday has been identified by police.
Suffolk police were contacted by the ambulance service just after 5.35pm on Sunday, reporting a collision in Willie Snaith Road.
The rider of a Kawasaki motorcycle lost control of his bike and was then in collision with a lamp post.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, the male motorcyclist was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
The biker has been identified as Shaun Liam Cronin, aged 17, from Manderston Road, Newmarket.
Police arrested a 30-year-old man from Newmarket, who is believed to have been driving a VW Bora in close proximity to the motorcycle, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
The man has been bailed pending further enquiries and will return to the Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on September 3.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 4 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 7 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 10 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
An investigation is underway to determine exactly what happened, and police have spoken to a number of witnesses but are asking anyone who may have seen the vehicles prior to collision or the crash itself, who has not yet talked to officers, to call Pc Danny Ormes at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police on 101.