UPDATE: Motorcyclist killed and man arrested following smash
A MOTORCYCLIST who died following a collision near Newmarket on Sunday has been identified by police.
Suffolk police were contacted by the ambulance service just after 5.35pm on Sunday, reporting a collision in Willie Snaith Road.
The rider of a Kawasaki motorcycle lost control of his bike and was then in collision with a lamp post.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, the male motorcyclist was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
The biker has been identified as Shaun Liam Cronin, aged 17, from Manderston Road, Newmarket.
You may also want to watch:
Police arrested a 30-year-old man from Newmarket, who is believed to have been driving a VW Bora in close proximity to the motorcycle, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
The man has been bailed pending further enquiries and will return to the Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on September 3.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 3 Catering wars as converted horsebox trailer takes on National Trust
- 4 Suspected building site burglars stopped in their tracks
- 5 Palmer's 'flagship' £100k homes will be council houses
- 6 Welcome to the Fens but can you guess which part?
- 7 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 8 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Petition calls for more Cambs busways to be scrapped
- 10 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
An investigation is underway to determine exactly what happened, and police have spoken to a number of witnesses but are asking anyone who may have seen the vehicles prior to collision or the crash itself, who has not yet talked to officers, to call Pc Danny Ormes at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police on 101.