UPDATE: Motorcyclist killed and man arrested following smash
A MOTORCYCLIST who died following a collision near Newmarket on Sunday has been identified by police.
Suffolk police were contacted by the ambulance service just after 5.35pm on Sunday, reporting a collision in Willie Snaith Road.
The rider of a Kawasaki motorcycle lost control of his bike and was then in collision with a lamp post.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, the male motorcyclist was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
The biker has been identified as Shaun Liam Cronin, aged 17, from Manderston Road, Newmarket.
You may also want to watch:
Police arrested a 30-year-old man from Newmarket, who is believed to have been driving a VW Bora in close proximity to the motorcycle, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
The man has been bailed pending further enquiries and will return to the Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on September 3.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 3 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 6 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 7 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 8 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 9 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation
- 10 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
An investigation is underway to determine exactly what happened, and police have spoken to a number of witnesses but are asking anyone who may have seen the vehicles prior to collision or the crash itself, who has not yet talked to officers, to call Pc Danny Ormes at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police on 101.