UPDATE: Motorcyclist killed and man arrested following smash
A MOTORCYCLIST who died following a collision near Newmarket on Sunday has been identified by police.
Suffolk police were contacted by the ambulance service just after 5.35pm on Sunday, reporting a collision in Willie Snaith Road.
The rider of a Kawasaki motorcycle lost control of his bike and was then in collision with a lamp post.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, the male motorcyclist was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
The biker has been identified as Shaun Liam Cronin, aged 17, from Manderston Road, Newmarket.
Police arrested a 30-year-old man from Newmarket, who is believed to have been driving a VW Bora in close proximity to the motorcycle, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
The man has been bailed pending further enquiries and will return to the Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on September 3.
- 1 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 2 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 3 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 6 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 7 Ely quintet win Great Britain taekwondo call-ups
- 8 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
- 9 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 10 Council approves funding for two community projects
An investigation is underway to determine exactly what happened, and police have spoken to a number of witnesses but are asking anyone who may have seen the vehicles prior to collision or the crash itself, who has not yet talked to officers, to call Pc Danny Ormes at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police on 101.