Unprvked attack was caught n pub’s CCTV
AN unprvked attack that left a man lying uncnscius utside the Twnhuse pub in Ely was recrded n CCTV, magistrates were tld this week. Camera ftage shwed Simn Williams having a vigrus cnversatin with a man, and then punching him in the f
AN unprvked attack that left a man lying uncnscius utside the Twnhuse pub in Ely was recrded n CCTV, magistrates were tld this week.
Camera ftage shwed Simn Williams having a "vigrus" cnversatin with a man, and then punching him in the face.
But the injured man - wh has nt been named - later refused t make a cmplaint t the plice.
"He des nt want his parents t knw abut the incident," prsecutr Matthew Bradbury explained t Ely magistrates.
The incident happened in the early hurs f January 26, and started as the tw men std near a vehicle parked in Market Street.
"There was a vigrus discussin as they faced each ther," said Mr Bradbury.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 8 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 9 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
"Out f the blue, the defendant struck the ther man in the face. The blw sent the ther man backwards and ut f sht f the camera.
"The defendant was grabbed by a drman frm the Twnhuse and held there.
"Other peple rushed t the aid f the stricken man n the flr.
"The camera passes back and the uncnscius man can been seen n the radway, with his feet n the pavement, being tended by members f the public."
The injured man slipped in and ut f cnsciusness, and Williams was arrested. Williams - a frmer chef at the Red Lin pub in Stretham - admitted assault. He had drunk 10 pints that night, and claimed t have been gaded by his victim.
"He made me feel uncmfrtable, every time I lked up he caught my eye," he tld plice.
Mitigating, Michael Judkins said Williams' girlfriend had gne n a trip t Canada n the day f the assault.
"He went ut in Ely with tw men frm Stretham," he said. "It is regrettable that drink played a part in what happened."
Williams, wh currently wrks in Hertfrdshire but has an address in Selby, Yrkshire, did knw his victim, and had "sensed a tensin in the pub".
The curt rdered Williams t carry ut 100 hurs f unpaid wrk and pay £65 csts.