Unprvked attack was caught n pub’s CCTV
AN unprvked attack that left a man lying uncnscius utside the Twnhuse pub in Ely was recrded n CCTV, magistrates were tld this week. Camera ftage shwed Simn Williams having a vigrus cnversatin with a man, and then punching him in the f
AN unprvked attack that left a man lying uncnscius utside the Twnhuse pub in Ely was recrded n CCTV, magistrates were tld this week.
Camera ftage shwed Simn Williams having a "vigrus" cnversatin with a man, and then punching him in the face.
But the injured man - wh has nt been named - later refused t make a cmplaint t the plice.
"He des nt want his parents t knw abut the incident," prsecutr Matthew Bradbury explained t Ely magistrates.
You may also want to watch:
The incident happened in the early hurs f January 26, and started as the tw men std near a vehicle parked in Market Street.
"There was a vigrus discussin as they faced each ther," said Mr Bradbury.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
"Out f the blue, the defendant struck the ther man in the face. The blw sent the ther man backwards and ut f sht f the camera.
"The defendant was grabbed by a drman frm the Twnhuse and held there.
"Other peple rushed t the aid f the stricken man n the flr.
"The camera passes back and the uncnscius man can been seen n the radway, with his feet n the pavement, being tended by members f the public."
The injured man slipped in and ut f cnsciusness, and Williams was arrested. Williams - a frmer chef at the Red Lin pub in Stretham - admitted assault. He had drunk 10 pints that night, and claimed t have been gaded by his victim.
"He made me feel uncmfrtable, every time I lked up he caught my eye," he tld plice.
Mitigating, Michael Judkins said Williams' girlfriend had gne n a trip t Canada n the day f the assault.
"He went ut in Ely with tw men frm Stretham," he said. "It is regrettable that drink played a part in what happened."
Williams, wh currently wrks in Hertfrdshire but has an address in Selby, Yrkshire, did knw his victim, and had "sensed a tensin in the pub".
The curt rdered Williams t carry ut 100 hurs f unpaid wrk and pay £65 csts.