'Hero' Tyler Goodjohn back to his roots at former club
- Credit: Daniel Mason
Tyler Goodjohn returned to his roots as he inspired the next generation of boxers at his former club.
Goodjohn visited Haddenham and Ely Amateur Boxing Club yesterday (Thursday) to meet some of the current crop of youngsters during a training session.
It was the bare knuckle (BKB) star’s first visit to the venue since suffering his first BKB defeat at the hands of Luis Palomino last month.
“The only boxing I’ll watch is amateur and coming down to my old club and seeing the kids doing what I was, I love it,” he said.
“The kids want it and hopefully they can produce another champion like I was when I was here.
“Hopefully I can inspire people no matter what the circumstances in your life, you can still produce greatness.”
Goodjohn also caught up with former trainer Mike Sawyer, who used to coach the 30-year-old at Haddenham and Ely ABC.
“All the kids get very excited when they know Tyler’s coming because he can help them,” Mr Sawyer said.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
“He is a hero to those kids. If I can get one boxer like Tyler, I’d be very happy.”
Haddenham and Ely ABC are due to be in action on July 24, before hosting their own show on September 18.