Two die in spate of road accidents
TWO men died in accidents in East Cambridgeshire during a weekend of carnage on the roads. There were five fatal crashes in all – including four on the same day – and one serious accident across Cambridgeshire. On the A142 in Stuntney on Sunday, a 23-year
TWO men died in accidents in East Cambridgeshire during a weekend of carnage on the roads.
There were five fatal crashes in all - including four on the same day - and one serious accident across Cambridgeshire.
On the A142 in Stuntney on Sunday, a 23-year-old pedestrian was killed at 1.30am.
Craig Hammond, of Crown Square, King's Lynn, Norfolk died when he was involved in a collision with a Citroen Zantia driven by a 48-year-old man from Ely, who was unhurt.
In another accident, a driver in his late 70s died when his car careered off the road in Canon Street, Little Downham at its junction with Church Street at 5pm on Friday. The driver has not yet been named.
Three people were killed and others seriously injured in a spate of crashes across the county on Sunday.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 5 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
Pedestrian Peter Howat, 66, of Girton died when he was involved in a crash with an articulated lorry on the southbound carriageway of the M11 near Madingley at 2.15pm.
Wheelchair-user David Soulman, 88, of Cambridge died when he was involved in a crash with a motorcycle in Milton Road, Cambridge at 6.23pm. The motorcyclist, a 57-year-old man from Cambridge, is seriously ill in Cambridge's Addenbrooke's Hospital.
Motorcyclist, Darren Wildman, 39, of Corby, Northamptonshire died in a crash with a car and a pick-up truck on Peterborough's Fletton Parkway at 12.30pm.
A driver in his 20s from Bedford is fighting for his life in Cambridge's Addenbrooke's Hospital after a crash at West Wratting common at 2.23pm.
He was involved in a collision with another car driven by a woman in her 50s from Cambridge who suffered minor injuries.
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: "This was a very bad weekend for road accidents but we are not attributing it to the weather. People were out and about because it's summer and it was just one of those blips which obviously we hope won't happen again."
Police have appealed for witnesses to the accidents and anyone with any information should contact the Road Policing Unit on 0845 456 4564.