Twinning anniversary celebrated
FIFTY years of friendship between Ely and its twin cathedral city of Ribe in Denmark was celebrated at the weekend. Attended by 50 Danish visitors, the event marked the anniversary of the first visit to Ribe by a party from Ely in 1956. The highlight of t
FIFTY years of friendship between Ely and its twin cathedral city of Ribe in Denmark was celebrated at the weekend.
Attended by 50 Danish visitors, the event marked the anniversary of the first visit to Ribe by a party from Ely in 1956.
The highlight of the visit was the unveiling of a colourful tapestry hung in the foyer of The Maltings at Ely's riverside.
The tapestry, the work of designer Ullrich Rossing and weaver Mona Lise Martinussen was unveiled by the mayor of Ely, Cllr John Ison and Cllr Vag Sorensen representing Ribe.
You may also want to watch:
It depicts the many similarities between the two cathedral cities and it is hoped it will be a permanent reminder of the enduring friendship between the two as well as a tourist attraction for the city.
Also present at the ceremony dressed in his full uniform complete with ceremonial Morning Star pikestaff was Ribe's night-watchman, Aag Grann. Every evening at 10pm he leads a procession through the medieval streets of the Danish city assuring the residents that all is well by singing a goodnight song.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
On Friday night he sang his song walking through the streets of Ely with the Danish visitors and their hosts.
On Saturday, after a day of sightseeing in the city, guests and hosts gathered for a special Evensong in the cathedral followed by an anniversary dinner in the church room at St Mary's Church.
An invitation for a return visit to Ribe in May 2008 was accepted by Ely members of the Ely - Ribe Association.