Twinning anniversary celebrated
FIFTY years of friendship between Ely and its twin cathedral city of Ribe in Denmark was celebrated at the weekend. Attended by 50 Danish visitors, the event marked the anniversary of the first visit to Ribe by a party from Ely in 1956. The highlight of t
FIFTY years of friendship between Ely and its twin cathedral city of Ribe in Denmark was celebrated at the weekend.
Attended by 50 Danish visitors, the event marked the anniversary of the first visit to Ribe by a party from Ely in 1956.
The highlight of the visit was the unveiling of a colourful tapestry hung in the foyer of The Maltings at Ely's riverside.
The tapestry, the work of designer Ullrich Rossing and weaver Mona Lise Martinussen was unveiled by the mayor of Ely, Cllr John Ison and Cllr Vag Sorensen representing Ribe.
It depicts the many similarities between the two cathedral cities and it is hoped it will be a permanent reminder of the enduring friendship between the two as well as a tourist attraction for the city.
Also present at the ceremony dressed in his full uniform complete with ceremonial Morning Star pikestaff was Ribe's night-watchman, Aag Grann. Every evening at 10pm he leads a procession through the medieval streets of the Danish city assuring the residents that all is well by singing a goodnight song.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
On Friday night he sang his song walking through the streets of Ely with the Danish visitors and their hosts.
On Saturday, after a day of sightseeing in the city, guests and hosts gathered for a special Evensong in the cathedral followed by an anniversary dinner in the church room at St Mary's Church.
An invitation for a return visit to Ribe in May 2008 was accepted by Ely members of the Ely - Ribe Association.