Tumble dryer causes blaze in city flat

PUBLISHED: 16:32 09 November 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

A FLAT fire in Ely started after a tumble dryer overheated.

Fire-fighters from the city’s station were called out to a property on Walsingham Way at about 9.30am on Tuesday after neighbours reported seeing smoke coming from a first-floor flat.

Ambulance crews also attended and a man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

An investigation revealed that the fire had started after a tumble dryer overheated.

Brett Mills, watch commander at Ely Fire Station said: “A lot of fires are started by electrical appliances, but they can be avoided.

“Regularly cleaning the tumble dryer filter should prevent it from overheating


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard