Trundle winners are on song
THE winners of this year’s Hoop Trundle at the King’s School Ely were definitely on song.
Eighteen-year-old Bradley Fulford is a former cathedral chorister and 17-year-old Milly Green is a member of Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir.
The Hoop Trundle is one of the most fiercely contested events in the school’s calendar. It commemorates the re-founding of school by King Henry V111 in 1541.
Having dissolved Ely monastery, which had educated children for centuries, he gave the school its first royal charter and established the 12 King’s Scholars (boys). One of the privileges he allowed them was to play games, including the bowling of hoops, in the Cathedral precincts.
In 1970, the school admitted girls for the first time in its 1,000-year history, and three years later the King’s Scholars were joined by Queen’s Scholars (girls) at the request of Queen Elizabeth 11 during her visit to the school in 1973.
Pupils are nominated as scholars in the Sixth Form for their academic achievement. They become members of the Cathedral Foundation and also qualify for other privileges.
In today’s warm spring sunshine separate races were held for the King’s and Queen’s Scholars over a course on the east lawn of the cathedral, with three heats preceding each final.
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 9 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 10 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
Bradley and Milly were presented with the Hoop Trundle commemorative wooden by the Deputy Mayor of Ely, Cllr Will Burton.