Trundle winners are on song
THE winners of this year’s Hoop Trundle at the King’s School Ely were definitely on song.
Eighteen-year-old Bradley Fulford is a former cathedral chorister and 17-year-old Milly Green is a member of Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir.
The Hoop Trundle is one of the most fiercely contested events in the school’s calendar. It commemorates the re-founding of school by King Henry V111 in 1541.
Having dissolved Ely monastery, which had educated children for centuries, he gave the school its first royal charter and established the 12 King’s Scholars (boys). One of the privileges he allowed them was to play games, including the bowling of hoops, in the Cathedral precincts.
In 1970, the school admitted girls for the first time in its 1,000-year history, and three years later the King’s Scholars were joined by Queen’s Scholars (girls) at the request of Queen Elizabeth 11 during her visit to the school in 1973.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils are nominated as scholars in the Sixth Form for their academic achievement. They become members of the Cathedral Foundation and also qualify for other privileges.
In today’s warm spring sunshine separate races were held for the King’s and Queen’s Scholars over a course on the east lawn of the cathedral, with three heats preceding each final.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 3 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 4 Retired GP's death 'avoidable' if cause of severe chest pain was 'more thoroughly investigated'
- 5 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 6 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 7 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 8 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 9 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 10 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
Bradley and Milly were presented with the Hoop Trundle commemorative wooden by the Deputy Mayor of Ely, Cllr Will Burton.