Trundle winners are on song
THE winners of this year’s Hoop Trundle at the King’s School Ely were definitely on song.
Eighteen-year-old Bradley Fulford is a former cathedral chorister and 17-year-old Milly Green is a member of Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir.
The Hoop Trundle is one of the most fiercely contested events in the school’s calendar. It commemorates the re-founding of school by King Henry V111 in 1541.
Having dissolved Ely monastery, which had educated children for centuries, he gave the school its first royal charter and established the 12 King’s Scholars (boys). One of the privileges he allowed them was to play games, including the bowling of hoops, in the Cathedral precincts.
In 1970, the school admitted girls for the first time in its 1,000-year history, and three years later the King’s Scholars were joined by Queen’s Scholars (girls) at the request of Queen Elizabeth 11 during her visit to the school in 1973.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils are nominated as scholars in the Sixth Form for their academic achievement. They become members of the Cathedral Foundation and also qualify for other privileges.
In today’s warm spring sunshine separate races were held for the King’s and Queen’s Scholars over a course on the east lawn of the cathedral, with three heats preceding each final.
- 1 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 2 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 3 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 4 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 7 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 8 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 9 Family 'thrilled' as pair's lockdown locks raise charity cash
- 10 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
Bradley and Milly were presented with the Hoop Trundle commemorative wooden by the Deputy Mayor of Ely, Cllr Will Burton.