Trundle winners are on song
THE winners of this year’s Hoop Trundle at the King’s School Ely were definitely on song.
Eighteen-year-old Bradley Fulford is a former cathedral chorister and 17-year-old Milly Green is a member of Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir.
The Hoop Trundle is one of the most fiercely contested events in the school’s calendar. It commemorates the re-founding of school by King Henry V111 in 1541.
Having dissolved Ely monastery, which had educated children for centuries, he gave the school its first royal charter and established the 12 King’s Scholars (boys). One of the privileges he allowed them was to play games, including the bowling of hoops, in the Cathedral precincts.
In 1970, the school admitted girls for the first time in its 1,000-year history, and three years later the King’s Scholars were joined by Queen’s Scholars (girls) at the request of Queen Elizabeth 11 during her visit to the school in 1973.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils are nominated as scholars in the Sixth Form for their academic achievement. They become members of the Cathedral Foundation and also qualify for other privileges.
In today’s warm spring sunshine separate races were held for the King’s and Queen’s Scholars over a course on the east lawn of the cathedral, with three heats preceding each final.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 9 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
Bradley and Milly were presented with the Hoop Trundle commemorative wooden by the Deputy Mayor of Ely, Cllr Will Burton.