Trip to Florence was the start of a successful handbag business for Amanda
DETERMINED not to be beaten when she failed to land a part time job, mum of three Amanda MacNutt flew off to Florence in search of stylish handbags to sell.
That was the start of Amanda’s Bags - and Amanda now runs a successful company, offering for sale a colourful array of stylish bags at affordable prices, sold at Ely’s Saturday market and on-line.
Amanda - who went to school at Ely College and Soham Village College - began her business called Amanda’s Bags just over a year ago, and is now selling almost 100 bags a month.
“It all began when my youngest son started school and I looked for a job,” explained Amanda, whose step-father Tony Hull used to run Ely Service Garage.
“I found it incredibly hard. Then I remembered how a few months previously I had found a lovely handbag when in Bath. I had just decided to abandon my rucksack in favour of something more grown up and elegant.
“I had been shocked at the price of designer bags, they were �200 or more. Then I found a tiny little shop selling bags from Italy, it was just a revelation, they were so colourful, and inexpensive, it was like walking into a sweetie shop.”
“I bought a bright red bag for around �50, and at that time I laughed and said that could be a job for me some time.”
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 4 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Eight organ donors honoured at ‘moving’ award ceremony
A year later, Amanda went off to Florence and bought 10 high quality and colourful bags which she quickly sold to friends and family. “ I thought there must be something in this, but at first had problems sourcing more bags from Italy.”
After finding a reliable supplier in the UK, Amanda choose her stock, and gave each bag an Italian name, She now sells her range of bags at around �50 each.
Amanda , 44, is also looking into the possibility of creating her own branded handbags. But she says: “The prices won’t change a bit. Amanda’s Bags was always meant to make the most fashionable and stylish handbags available at affordable prices, and that will never change”.
For more information contact Amanda on 07717 293787, or e-mail Amanda at email@example.com or view Amanda’s Bags at www.amandasbags.com