Trio raise �1,600 for cancer research after being inspired by battling Soham boy
A GROUP of walkers from Ely completed the gruelling Three Peaks Challenge last weekend to raise over �1600 for Cancer Research UK.
The group, Shane Freeland, Christie Braybrooke, Martin Dawson, Dave Martin and Steve Footer first took on Ben Nevis in Scotland, the highest peak in the British Isles. Unfortunately, Dave Martin picked up an injury on the downward leg and they eventually completed the climb in 5 hours 20 minutes.
Down to four the team then climbed Scafell Pyke in Cumbria, which is the highest peak in England. They lost a second member in Martin Dawson on the way up as he sustained a knee injury so were down to just three for the third and final peak, Snowdon in Wales.
In poor weather conditions, Christie, Steve and Shane completed the challenge by reaching the top with 1 hour and 30 minutes to spare.
The friends were inspired to raise the cash after hearing of plucky Soham youngster Alex Lister, who has a brain tumour.
You may also want to watch:
Martin said: “Alex (son of Mark and Annalise Lister) is incredibly brave and is fighting his brain tumour with all his heart and strength. He is the nephew of our friend Ashley Pavitt, who had hoped to walk with us but is currently injured”.
Dave added: “We would like to extend a big thank you to team driver, chef and morale booster Paul Elsom and all those who sponsored the walkers on their magnificent accomplishment.”
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 6 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 9 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list