Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- Credit: Archant
For the second time in a month travellers disrupted local sport by moving onto a local pitch forcing the suspension of all fixtures.
Two days ago, a convoy of travellers moved onto the Campbell Drive Sports Field in Gunthorpe, Peterborough.
It follows a similar incident last month when travellers pitched up for several days forcing cancellation of all events at Ely Outdoor Sports Association.
In a statement on their Facebook page, Gunthorpe Harriers FC said: “Unfortunately we have been invaded by travellers who are now camped on the Campbell Drive playing fields (our pitches).
“All training and home matches are cancelled until further notice and we will update you all when we know more.”
You may also want to watch:
Local councillors are discussing what action can be taken at Gunthorpe – they estimate some 18 caravans are encircling the pitches.
In Ely, the clearing up costs were considerable although a fund-raising campaign raised nearly £4,000 to support the outdoor association.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Heroin dealer kept machete at home