Travellers set up camp on Soham car park
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers that have set up camp on a Soham car park are due to be moved on over the next few days.
Caravans arrived on Clay Street car park over the weekend, with police and officers from East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) visiting the site on Tuesday.
The Ross Peers Sports Centre also decided to close their car park and there is no access to the recreation ground until further notice.
Pedestrian/disabled access may be gained either at Gardeners Lane or Fountain Lane.
Councillor David Ambrose Smith, chairman of the operational services committee at ECDC, said that a court order could be granted tomorrow (September 26).
You may also want to watch:
He explained: "A court date has been scheduled for Thursday September 26.
"Should the court grant an order, bailiffs will be instructed to remove the encampment from the site.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
"We will continue to work closely with the police and the waste team to ensure the encampment is removed and the site restored."
A spokesperson from Cambridgeshire Police said that the camp was set to be moved on "in the next few days".
"Police respond to all unauthorised encampments for an initial assessment," they said.
"We would encourage members of the public to continue to report information about unauthorised encampments to your local council so appropriate action can be taken."