Travellers set up camp on Soham car park
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers that have set up camp on a Soham car park are due to be moved on over the next few days.
Caravans arrived on Clay Street car park over the weekend, with police and officers from East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) visiting the site on Tuesday.
The Ross Peers Sports Centre also decided to close their car park and there is no access to the recreation ground until further notice.
Pedestrian/disabled access may be gained either at Gardeners Lane or Fountain Lane.
Councillor David Ambrose Smith, chairman of the operational services committee at ECDC, said that a court order could be granted tomorrow (September 26).
He explained: "A court date has been scheduled for Thursday September 26.
"Should the court grant an order, bailiffs will be instructed to remove the encampment from the site.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 4 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 8 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
- 9 Baby murder trial told of midwife's concerns
- 10 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
"We will continue to work closely with the police and the waste team to ensure the encampment is removed and the site restored."
A spokesperson from Cambridgeshire Police said that the camp was set to be moved on "in the next few days".
"Police respond to all unauthorised encampments for an initial assessment," they said.
"We would encourage members of the public to continue to report information about unauthorised encampments to your local council so appropriate action can be taken."