Travellers set up camp on Soham car park
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers that have set up camp on a Soham car park are due to be moved on over the next few days.
Caravans arrived on Clay Street car park over the weekend, with police and officers from East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) visiting the site on Tuesday.
The Ross Peers Sports Centre also decided to close their car park and there is no access to the recreation ground until further notice.
Pedestrian/disabled access may be gained either at Gardeners Lane or Fountain Lane.
Councillor David Ambrose Smith, chairman of the operational services committee at ECDC, said that a court order could be granted tomorrow (September 26).
He explained: "A court date has been scheduled for Thursday September 26.
"Should the court grant an order, bailiffs will be instructed to remove the encampment from the site.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 4 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 7 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 10 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
"We will continue to work closely with the police and the waste team to ensure the encampment is removed and the site restored."
A spokesperson from Cambridgeshire Police said that the camp was set to be moved on "in the next few days".
"Police respond to all unauthorised encampments for an initial assessment," they said.
"We would encourage members of the public to continue to report information about unauthorised encampments to your local council so appropriate action can be taken."