Trainee chef from Soham aiming to cook up a storm at catering competition
- Credit: Archant
A Soham student is part of a team going for gold after winning a place in the finals of the UK Young Restaurant Team of the Year.
Trainee chef Owen Setter, alongside fellow Cambridge Regional College students Jenny Beamish Young and Bradley Dorrington, will cook and serve a meal for four, judged by a team of leading chefs including celebrity chef Cyrus Todiwala, an expert on South Asian cuisine.
They will compete against four other teams in Sheffield next Tuesday, with the results announced at a gala dinner for the top chefs on July 2 – giving the young chefs the chance to shine in front of some of the industry’s biggest names.
Each team consists of two chefs and a waiter, with the students preparing and serving a South Asian-themed dinner. The CRC team has been mentored by Alan Paton, executive chef of Stoke by Nayland hotel in the run-up to the competition.
Owen, 18, a catering and hospitality student at CRC, who lives in Guntons Close, Soham, will be responsible for the main course – a closely guarded secret until the competition. He said winning through to the finals provided a great opportunity for the students to meet leading chefs.
You may also want to watch:
“I am looking forward to the competition - it is a great chance to get my name out to the industry. I love cooking and my goal is to have my own café and bistro one day,” he said.
The competition, organised by Skills for Chefs, attracted a record number of entries from student chefs across the country.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car