‘It really didn’t go well at all’: Reporter gets BMW car stuck on ‘worst road in the Fens’
- Credit: Harry Rutter/ARCHANT
In a bid to find the worst road in Fenland, reporter Harry Rutter set out to Cant’s Drove in Murrow – he didn’t return for three hours.
After releasing an article about Stocking Drove in Chatteris, our readers argued the competition for Fenland's worst road had a new entry.
Harry set out in his rear-wheel drive BMW 1 series and driving just meters along the road decided it was time to turn around and head back.
He said: "I could hear, and feel, the car bottoming out and scraping along the road. I couldn't drive any further without causing damage to the car.
"I decided it was best to turn around as soon as possible. However, Cant's Drove doesn't really have many turn around points, so I attempted to drive on the edge."
You may also want to watch:
Readers have labelled the road a "very thin plough field" and you can see why from pictures taken by Harry on his 'off-piste' drive near Wisbech.
When attempting a three-point turn, Harry's car got stuck in the mud - being a rear-wheel drive it was near-impossible for him to pull away on the muddy grass.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 5 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 6 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 7 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 10 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
He added: "I needed to think of something before I kept digging myself a bigger hole. I gathered reeds from the side of the road and put them under my tyres.
"That failed, so I took the rear car mats from my back seats and attempted the same thing again but with the added grip of the mats - that also epically failed.
"At this point it had started to get dark and I'd been trying to free myself for over an hour - my partner even came down with cardboard and wood but that also failed."
Sharing pictures and videos from the increasingly frustrating scene, readers got involved and even gave out more suggestions for Fenland's worst road.
After being stuck in the mud for two-and-a-half-hours, Harry decided to admit defeat and call in the recovery to set him free and back on the road.
Harry said: "I can't knock the residents, I had lots of people stop and see if I needed help. One woman said she'd flag down one of her friends with a tractor.
"In summary, I think we should call off the hunt because it's fair to say we have already found the worst road in Fenland, Cant's Drove in Murrow."
Do you have an entry for Fenland's Worst Road? Perhaps your street is riddled with potholes and is undriveable. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions.