Recap: Oil spill, roadworks and helium balloon cause commuter delays
- Credit: Paul Green
There were queues at traffic hotspots throughout Cambridgeshire this morning (Thursday, March 10).
There were tailbacks on several major routes into Cambridge.
A statement from Cambridgeshire County Council reads: "There's a little bit of traffic in all the usual places across Cambridgeshire this morning.
"Please be safe and leave a little extra time for your journey."
There were queues of approximately two miles in each direction on the A428 Cambridge Roads near St Neots.
An earlier fuel spillage, collision and roadworks caused the tailbacks.
The collision was in the roadworks zone, according to multiple traffic sources including Google Maps.
Telecoms firm Openreach is carrying out emergency roadworks in the area, which could last until Friday, March 18.
The A10 Ely Road was congested in both directions near Waterbeach, between Ely and Cambridge.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
There are Cambridge Water Company roadworks on the route at Waterbeach with two-way signals in the area.
The works began on February 22 and could continue until Sunday, March 27.
This morning's congestion at the A47/A141 Guyhirn Roundabout (between Peterborough and Wisbech) has now cleared.
National Highways is carrying out long-term works at the roundabout.
The work began in May 2021 and it is set to last until March 31, 2022.
An earlier queue on the A142 between Ely and Newmarket, approaching the A142/A1123 roundabout at Soham, has now cleared.
There has been disruption on some trains between Cambridgeshire and London, through Hertfordshire.
A helium balloon was caught in wires near Baldock, Hertfordshire.
It has since been removed and delays have cleared.
A Thameslink travel update read: "An object is caught in the overhead electric wires between Ashwell & Morden and Baldock, causing delays of up to 10 minutes between Hitchin and Cambridge."
An earlier points failure meant that some northbound Thameslink and Great Northern trains from London were unable to call at Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire.
The disruption has since cleared.
For the most up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Cambridgeshire traffic map.
Join our Cambridgeshire Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Cambridgeshire.
Do you have a live or breaking news story from across Cambridgeshire? Email: email@example.com