Roadworks and delays on A142 due to burst water main
- Credit: Google Earth
A burst water main has caused disruption to motorists on the A142 in Cambridgeshire.
Anglian Water is carrying out emergency works on the A142 between Newmarket and Ely, with temporary traffic lights near Soham.
The works began at around 7pm yesterday (Monday, May 2) and are expected to be complete by the end of this week.
An Anglian Water spokesperson said: "Our engineers are fixing a burst water main on the A142 between Soham and Ely.
"This repair is complicated due to the presence of multiple utilities, so to keep our team safe while they work, we have closed a small section of the road, with a full diversion and two-way traffic lights in place.
"We’re working as fast as we can to get it fixed, and we expect to get everything back to normal by the end of the week.
"We’d like to thank residents and road users for their patience while we carry out this emergency work."
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
Motorists queued for approximately two miles in both directions near the works at rush-hour on Tuesday morning.
A Cambridgeshire County Council statement read: "Please avoid the area if at all possible. and allow extra time for your journey."
Passengers on Stagecoach route 12 (between Cambridge, Newmarket and Ely) faced delays.
For the most up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Cambridgeshire traffic map.
Join our Cambridgeshire Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Cambridgeshire.
Do you have a live or breaking news story from across Cambridgeshire? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org