Motorists face diversions due to A142 bridge closure
- Credit: Lorna Dupre
Motorists in the Fens will face diversions to their usual journeys as a key road is closed for repairs.
The Mepal bridge on the A142 between Mepal and Chatteris will be closed for three weekends in February and March.
The closures have been planned after faults in the bridge joints are in need of repair.
These will take place from 8.30pm on Friday to 5am on Monday during the following dates:
- Friday, February 25 to Monday, February 28
- Friday, March 4 to Monday, March 7
- Friday, March 11 to Monday, March 14
- 1 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Baby murder trial jury told birth referred to safeguarding team
- 5 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 6 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 7 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 8 Plea to give beloved Reba 'best fighting chance'
- 9 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 10 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
Motorists travelling towards Ely will be diverted via Chatteris, Huntingdon, Cambridge and Ely along the A142, A14 and A10.
Those local to the area may likely find shorter diversion routes.
Cllr Lorna Dupre, district councillor for Mepal, Sutton, Witcham and Wentworth said: “The installation of the bridge joints has never been trouble-free, with many nearby residents of Mepal affected by increased noise.
“Let us hope this work provides a more satisfactory outcome.”