A11 closed in both directions as woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- Credit: Airyn Skene
The A11 is currently shut in both directions as emergency services attend a serious three-vehicle crash near Elveden.
Emergency services, including the air ambulance, are currently at the scene of the crash involving a lorry and two cars near the Fiveways roundabout.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: "The driver of one of the cars, a woman, has been taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital by air ambulance having sustained serious injuries.
"The driver of the lorry has been taken to West Suffolk Hospital for treatment."
The spokesman confirmed that the A11 is remains closed in both directions.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service has also been called to the scene.
A spokesman added: "Crews assisted in realising one person from a car, who is now in the care of the ambulance service."
National Highways East said in a tweet: "The A11 in Suffolk is currently closed in both directions between the A1065/A1101 at Barton Mills and the B1106 at Elveden due to a serious collision."
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 3 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 9 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 10 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
The AA traffic map is showing heavy delays in the area.
It comes after there was a fatal crash on the A11 on Monday where the driver and the passenger of a Maxus flatbed lorry died at the scene.
A diversion route has been put in place, which is as follows:
- At Five Ways Roundabout take the second exit onto the A1065 and continue through RAF Lakenheath to the Junction with the B1106.
- Turn right onto the B1106 and continue to the junction with Green Road.
- At the junction turn left and continue on Green Road to the junction with the B1107.
- Turn right and continue on the B1107 to rejoin the A11 at the B1107 Roundabout.
- At the B1107 roundabout take the third exit to Brandon. Continue on the B1107 to the junction with Green Road.
- At the junction turn left and continue on Green Road to the Junction with the B1106.
- At the junction with the B1106 turn right and continue to the junction with the B1107.
- Turn left for the A1065 and continue through RAF Lakenheath to rejoin the A11 at Five Ways roundabout.
This is a breaking news story. Be sure the check back on the website for further updates as they come in.
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Suffolk traffic map.
Join our Suffolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Suffolk.