Petition calls for safer crossing at A10 roundabout
- Credit: LORNA DUPRE
Four councillors from Ely and Sutton have started a petition to make the A10 BP roundabout at Ely safer for walkers and cyclists.
The petition states that last year’s changes to the roundabout layout have made the junction "even more dangerous for people attempting to cross on foot or by bicycle".
Ely’s Liberal Democrat county council candidates Alison Whelan and Piers Coutts, Sutton county councillor Lorna Dupré, and Ely district councillor Christine Whelan are behind the petition.
Alison Whelan (Ely North) said: “Crossing the A10 and A142 at this point has always been difficult.
"But the new layout means people travelling on foot or by bicycle are taking their life in their hands.
"Some residents are already telling us they are stopping their children cycling to school as it’s now just too dangerous.”
You may also want to watch:
Lorna Dupré (Sutton), whose division includes Witchford, added: “The Conservative approach would mean waiting a decade.
"They say that dualling the A10 will include a safe crossing at this junction, solving these problems at a stroke.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 6 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 7 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
"But no funding has been offered, let alone guaranteed, for such a scheme—and the overall plan will cost half a billion.
"Such a scheme could easily take ten years or more to complete.”
Piers Coutts (Ely South) said: “We believe the safety of local pedestrians and cyclists cannot wait any longer and that we must take action to make this crossing safer now.”
Sign the petition online.