Traders’ book profits help fund the EARTH
THIS Christmas, traders from Ely s Farmers Market are donating profits from their recipe book to help people of all abilities learn new gardening skills. Responding to the news that local charity EARTH was a facing a funding crisis, Ely Farmers Market has
THIS Christmas, traders from Ely's Farmers Market are donating profits from their recipe book to help people of all abilities learn new gardening skills.
Responding to the news that local charity EARTH was a facing a funding crisis, Ely Farmers Market has arranged for the profits so far, from the second edition of the Farmers Market Recipe Book, to be presented to Richard Bellow, charity co-ordinator of Earth.
EARTH is a registered charity, which enables people of all ages and various abilities to work alongside each other in real horticultural situations to gain new skills.
Alison Callaby, team leader - town centres at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: "Hilary van de Watering, who compiled and illustrated the recipe book, suggested the profits raised from the second edition of the book be donated to this important local charity and the Oxfam South Africa Appeal. It was decided to pass on an early share of the profit as soon as we could to show our support for EARTH, with the total profit from the recipe book to be shared equally between the two funds.
You may also want to watch:
"Hilary and the traders should be applauded for this act of generosity, which will make a big difference to EARTH and help those of all abilities to learn more about gardening and the skills needed to make a garden grow."
The book features recipes using both the regular and unusual produce to be found on the market, including such exotic items as kohlrabi, as well as recipes for tasty savouries like Apple Podge or marvellous cakes. The latest edition also features a recipe for Eel Pie.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
The Farmers Market Recipe Book is on sale at Burrows Book Shop, Ely Library and the Tourist Information Centre and will be available on a special stall at the December 9 farmers' market for £1.