Trade member to stand for election
A SECOND member of the Ely Traders Association has announced he will stand for election as a district councillor in May. The association vehemently opposed the introduction of parking charges in the city and Will Burton said he decided to stand after mem
A SECOND member of the Ely Traders' Association has announced he will stand for election as a district councillor in May.
The association vehemently opposed the introduction of parking charges in the city and Will Burton said he decided to stand after members of the public suggested it to him.
"People were saying they wanted a truly independent councillor and I thought I should give it a go," he said.
"I feel people are looking for a genuine alternative to the two main parties."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Burton's decision to stand for the Ely east ward follows the recent announcement that association chairman Elaine Griffin-Singh would also stand.
Although both of them are members of the association, each will stand as an independent councillor.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
Mr Burton, who is chairman of the Ely Perspective Riverside Group, said he hoped to distance himself from the "top-down interests of party politics".
"Looking after the environment is becoming an increasingly important part of people's lives," he said, "but measures must take account of everyone's circumstances rather than 'one size fits all' solutions."
A district council spokesman said: "We would welcome anyone who would like to stand as a candidate; they have until April 4 to submit their nomination."