Town goes back to Front
MEMORIES of wartime will come flooding back on Saturday when Soham on the Home Front is recreated as part of the town s Museum Open Day. Visitors are encouraged to dress in wartime costume for the event in the Lodeside Hall at Soham Village College. Ther
MEMORIES of wartime will come flooding back on Saturday when Soham on the Home Front is recreated as part of the town's Museum Open Day.
Visitors are encouraged to dress in wartime costume for the event in the Lodeside Hall at Soham Village College.
There will be prizes for the best dressed adult and child visitor.
Youngsters at the town's Wetheralls School have been working on a project about local wartime history which will be on display during the event.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be vintage vehicles supplied by the Soham Classic Vehicle Club and an impressive collection of vintage toys.
The event will be officially opened at 11am by historian Mike Petty, and at 2pm there will be a slide presentation and talk on the Soham Rail Disaster.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
Local history will be provided by Soham Museum Project and Soham Roots and there will be a collection of wartime photos from the town.
Visitors interested in tracing their family histories will find plenty of help, with archives and family records on display.
There will also be paintings on sale and a variety of stalls and a prize draw.
Soham Museum chairman Donna Martin said: "We are hoping loads of people will come dressed in wartime costume.
"There will be people all over town trying to fit into uniforms they wore during their time in the services.
"We will have a great collection of wartime memorabilia and it promises to be an excellent day."
The event runs from 11am-4pm and anyone wanting more information can contact the organisers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.