Town goes back to Front
MEMORIES of wartime will come flooding back on Saturday when Soham on the Home Front is recreated as part of the town s Museum Open Day. Visitors are encouraged to dress in wartime costume for the event in the Lodeside Hall at Soham Village College. Ther
MEMORIES of wartime will come flooding back on Saturday when Soham on the Home Front is recreated as part of the town's Museum Open Day.
Visitors are encouraged to dress in wartime costume for the event in the Lodeside Hall at Soham Village College.
There will be prizes for the best dressed adult and child visitor.
Youngsters at the town's Wetheralls School have been working on a project about local wartime history which will be on display during the event.
There will also be vintage vehicles supplied by the Soham Classic Vehicle Club and an impressive collection of vintage toys.
The event will be officially opened at 11am by historian Mike Petty, and at 2pm there will be a slide presentation and talk on the Soham Rail Disaster.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Local history will be provided by Soham Museum Project and Soham Roots and there will be a collection of wartime photos from the town.
Visitors interested in tracing their family histories will find plenty of help, with archives and family records on display.
There will also be paintings on sale and a variety of stalls and a prize draw.
Soham Museum chairman Donna Martin said: "We are hoping loads of people will come dressed in wartime costume.
"There will be people all over town trying to fit into uniforms they wore during their time in the services.
"We will have a great collection of wartime memorabilia and it promises to be an excellent day."
The event runs from 11am-4pm and anyone wanting more information can contact the organisers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.