Topping-out ceremony held to mark landmark in housing development
- Credit: Archant
A ‘topping out’ ceremony has been held to mark a key stage in the building of a new housing development in Ely.
Sanctuary Hereward started construction at The Gardens, in Lynn Road, in the summer of last year, a £2.25 million affordable housing scheme part-funded by the Government’s Homes and Communities Agency.
The 19 new homes are being built by Sanctuary’s contractor Youngs Homes and will include eight one bedroom apartments and five two-bedroom houses for affordable rent, as well as six family houses for shared ownership.
Representatives from East Cambridgeshire District Council and the Homes and Communities Agency joined Sanctuary Group and Young Homes at the ceremony, with the mayor of Ely, Councillor Lis Every, invited to pour a bottle of locally brewed beer over the roof top to toast the highest point of the build having been reached.
Oliver Cook, housing development and enabling officer at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “It is great news that these homes will be made available to people and families who live and work in Ely. We’ve had great success in tackling homelessness over the past 12 months, but the only long-term answer is new permanent affordable housing and these 19 homes will make a valuable contribution in providing a settled home for those in need.”
You may also want to watch:
Sanctuary Group passed on its thanks to Liberty Belle, a new micro pub in Fore Hill, Ely, for supplying the beer used for the topping out ceremony.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face