Top of the cops?
ELY Police Sergeant, Alan Savill, could be heading overseas to patrol a different beat. Sgt Savill is in the running for Community Police Officer of the Year - a national award which carries a £3,000 bursary to pay for a two-week visit to another force. T
ELY Police Sergeant, Alan Savill, could be heading overseas to patrol a different beat.
Sgt Savill is in the running for Community Police Officer of the Year - a national award which carries a £3,000 bursary to pay for a two-week visit to another force.
The north neighbourhood beat sergeant has already been selected to represent Cambridgeshire at the awards ceremony after beating off fierce competition from throughout the force.
He was nominated by Ely police sector inspector, Adam Gallop, for being instrumental in achieving a significant reduction in crime in the Ely area.
You may also want to watch:
Cambridgeshire police chief constable, Julie Spence, chose sgt Savill to represent the force and now he will travel to London today (Thursday) for a gala dinner by the awards' organisers, Jane's Police Review, when the national winners will be announced.
Sgt Savill said: "I will be presented with a medal and certificate at the presentation dinner and the overall winner gets a chance to go overseas to see neighbourhood policing in another country."
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
It has been suggested that Alan should visit America where a new neighbourhood policing scheme has just been launched.
Pc Karen Corp, based at Cambridge's Parkside Police Station has been nominated in the awards' category Student Officer of the Year.