Tonnes of waste from East Cambridgeshire homes to be recycled at state-of-the-art plant
- Credit: Archant
Recycling and refuse company, AmeyCespa has been awarded a lucrative contract to process recyclable waste collected from households across East Cambridgeshire.
The five-year contract will see AmeyCespa processing thousands of tonnes of material from East Cambs at its facility in Waterbeach.
The facility, which opened in 2012, uses state-of-the-art technology to separate waste collected in recycling bins such as plastic, metal and card.
These separated materials are then sent on for reprocessing after which they can be used by manufacturers to make new items.
AmeyCespa will also take responsibility for the transportation and sale of these materials for reprocessing, as well as bulking, storing and loading materials.
You may also want to watch:
As well as East Cambs, the new contract covers five other district councils in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, who will introduce the new service at different times.
The contract with Peterborough City Council began in September, with Fenland District Council, Huntingdonshire District Council and Cambridge City Council agreements starting this week.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
The contracts with South Cambridgeshire and East Cambridgeshire District Councils start in 2015 and 2016 respectively.
Paul Greenwell, managing director of AmeyCespa, said: “We are delighted that the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Waste Partnership has chosen AmeyCespa to process the county’s household recyclables. We are able to provide a local solution for processing this waste, using state-of-the-art technology.”