Toilet trial in Ely Country Park will save visitors rushing to the bushes
- Credit: Archant
Temporary public toilets are being tested in Ely’s Country Park to determine whether it is worth East Cambridgeshire District Council spending a penny or two on permanent facilities.
Three portable units (male, female and baby changing/disabled) have been located in the park for the summer holidays after public consultation said toilets were the number one priority for the park.
The toilets, which will be cleaned and stocked daily by an external cleaning company and will be open between 8am and 6pm, are covered by a new CCTV system which also covers the play and picnic areas.
Councillor Richard Hobbs, chairman of the commercial services committee, said: “Since the installation of the new play and picnic equipment in May 2015, the Country Park has seen a huge increase in visitor numbers, especially families with children.
“Rather than force the users of the park to run to a bush or to the toilets along Ely riverside, we have listened to feedback and installed three toilets on a trial period. We hope the new toilets will encourage even more people to visit the area.”
The trial forms part of the Ely Country Park Improvement Plan 2015-17 which was developed following user feedback. The improvement plan will also focus on access improvements and seating provision.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 4 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 5 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 8 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 9 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 10 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you