Tithe Barn Trust in Landbeach launches ‘sponsor a sheaf’ campaign
- Credit: Archant
The Tithe Barn Trust, a Landbeach-based charity and volunteer not-for-profit group, launched their ‘Sponsor a Sheaf’ campaign over the weekend.
The Trust - which aims to save and restore the Grade II Listed Tithe Barn for community use - estimates it will need five tonnes of locally-sourced hand-drawn longstraw to re-thatch the roof.
The Trust is hoping to raise an extra £75,000 towards “urgently” re-thatching and strengthening the timber frame.
Chairman Gemma O’Shea said: “The barn has been standing since medieval times and we can’t allow ourselves to be the generation that loses it forever.
“The barn reflects the agricultural heritage of East Anglia and is an important part of our local community history.
You may also want to watch:
“The Tithe Barn would have been used to store tithes, a tax which was a tenth of all crops, the contributions being stacked in the barn for winter threshing and storage.”
From October 22 to 29 the Tithe Barn Trust will work with the Fen Edge Archaeology group (FEAG) to undertake a geophysical survey of the land surrounding the barn.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
To sponsor a sheaf visit www.totalgiving.co.ukmypageTitheBarnTrust